Turns out Magento was a bit confused by using SSL Termination on the Rackspace Cloud Loadbalancer. It ended up doing an endless 302 redirect loop which the browser eventually cut off with the message “The page is not redirecting properly” in Firefox.

Turns out Magento was expecting a connection with SSL but because the Loadbalancer had terminated SSL already it would redirect the user back to the https:// address, thus causing an endless loop.

It was quite simple to fix, but some of the recommendations I found online didn’t quite work for me, until I added an extra if to make sure the proto was indeed https. You add this above the line Mage::run($mageRunCode, $mageRunType); at the bottom of your index.php. I have left my run command in as example.